State Route 63 and 64 in Hawaii
State Route 63 in Hawaii
State Route 63, commonly known as the Likelike Highway (pronounced: lee-kay lee-kay ), is a state route in the U.S. state of Hawaii, located on the island of Oahu. The road connects Honolulu with Kaneohe and is 13 kilometers long.
- EHUACOM: Provides city overview of capital of Hawaii, including general information about the state Hawaii.
The Likelike Highway.
State Route 63 begins on the Nimitz Highway ( SR-92 ) in western Honolulu, near the harbor. The built-up part of Honolulu is called Kalihi Street and is a narrow four-lane road. A junction-like connection with the Interstate H1 then follows, after which the road becomes a 2×2 divided highway. The road ascends into the Ko’olau Range, reaching the highest point in the John H. Wilson Tunnels at approximately 270 meters. On the east side of the tunnels there is a spectacular descent and an incomplete interchange with Interstate H3. One then descends to Kaneohe, where the road ends on the Kahekili Highway ( SR-83 ).
- existingcountries: state overview of Hawaii, including geography, history and major cities.
Development of the Likelike Highway began in the mid-1950s with the construction of the John H. Wilson Tunnels, which opened in 1960. This was the second link across the Ko’olau Range east of Honolulu, just after the Pali Highway ( SR-61 ) opened. The interchange with Interstate H3 was opened to traffic in 1997.
The road is named after Hawaiian princess Likelike (1851-1887).
State Route 64 in Hawaii
State Route 64, also known as the Sand Island Access Road is a state route in the U.S. state of Hawaii, located on Oahu. The road is located in Honolulu and runs to Sand Island.
The road runs through the industrial part of Honolulu, and is largely a 2×2 urban arterial with traffic lights. The road begins on the Nimitz Highway ( SR-92 ) and then crosses a bridge to Sand Island, which is mostly dockland. State Route 64 ends there.
Sand Island was originally an undeveloped island, which was home to an internment camp for Japanese-Hawaiian residents in 1941-1942. The bridge to Sand Island was built in the 1960s. This was originally single-lane, at the end of the 1980s a second bridge was built next to it to increase the capacity. During that time, Sand Island has also been industrialized with a new port area. On the south side of Sand Island is still a recreation area.