Summer holidays on the beach, the sun is shining from the sky, cocktails by the sea and swimwear wherever you look – that’s not for you? The ten coldest places on earth offer a strong contrast program – which, however, should not necessarily be suitable for a vacation or even just for people to stay:
- The East Antarctic Plateau – The coldest place on earth
It has not been certain for so long: the coldest temperature ever recorded on earth was recorded at this location. At least minus 93.2 ° C. minus. It is impossible for people to live here, even without a protective suit and breathing apparatus. The temperature measurement was made by satellite.
- Vostok Weather Station, Antarctica
At this Russian weather station we find the coldest temperature ever measured with a thermometer: minus 89.2 ° C. In midsummer 1983.
- Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica
This research station is one of the ten coldest places on earth, at which minus 82.8 ° C has already been measured. In midsummer there are over 100 South Pole researchers – only very few of them stay through the winter.
- Oymyakon in Siberia
The small Siberian village was considered the coldest place in the world until 2013. At minus 71.2 ° C, it is still 20 ° C warmer here than in East Antarctica – a few hundred people have even settled here. In summer it sometimes gets up to 30 ° C warm.
- North Ice, Grönland
Also a research station, located on a huge glacier, the Greenland Ice Sheet. In 1954, the cold record for this place was set at minus 65.9 ° C.
- Snag, Canada
In this small village in the Canadian Yukon, which is considered the coldest place on the entire American continent, a temperature of minus 63 ° C was measured in the winter of 1947. Although there was still a well-functioning gold rush settlement here in the 19th century, it has now been almost completely emptied. The gold diggers left behind a ghost town of the cold, over which, by the way, a small airplane disappeared in 1950, the remains of which could never be found.
- Eureka, Canada
Now we are making big steps into the habitable temperature areas. The weather station on the northernmost island in Canada measures down to minus 40 ° C in winter. In summer the temperatures rarely climb to more than minus 20.
- Ulaanbaatar (Ulan Bator), Mongolei
According to Trackaah, the Mongolian capital is considered to be the coldest capital in the world. The annual average temperature is only minus 2 ° C, in winter it can get down to minus 25 ° C. Officially, the city has almost 1.5 million inhabitants, which is almost half of the total population of Mongolia. However, many of these people are only in the capital to winter and roam the country in the remaining months.
- Astana, Kazakhstan
In the Kazakh capital, it is not as cold on average as in Ulaanbaatar, but in individual cases it can get down to minus 40 ° C at night. The absolute minimum temperature measured was minus 52 ° C. After all, the second coldest capital in the world.
- Funtensee, Germany
It doesn’t always have to be a different continent for such incredibly cold temperatures. Here in Germany, too, it can get very frosty at times. At Funtensee, in the Berchtesgaden National Park in Bavaria, it was minus 45.9 ° C in 2001 – not the only cold record recorded here, just the highest so far. Due to its unique basin location, it is also considerably colder at the lake than in the areas directly surrounding it. The largest temperature difference between the lake and areas already only 100 meters higher was 27 ° C in 2000.
Browse Weather and Climate by Country or Region
Note: countries and regions are listed in alphabetical order. According to COUNTRYAAH, there is 195 independent countries in the world while there is no country with letter X.
U.S. Highways by State
- Burlington, Wyoming Population, Schools and Places of Interest (6/5/2023) - Burlington, Wyoming is surrounded by a variety of small towns and cities. To the south lies Rock River, Wyoming, a small town with a population of just over 500 residents. It is located on the… ...
- Altoona, Wisconsin Population, Schools and Places of Interest (6/4/2023) - Altoona, Wisconsin is a small city located in the heart of the state, just minutes away from the larger cities of Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls. It is bordered by several smaller towns and cities,… ...
- Barrackville, West Virginia Population, Schools and Places of Interest (6/3/2023) - Barrackville, West Virginia is a small town located in the northern panhandle region of the state. It is bordered by several other cities and towns that offer plenty of attractions for visitors. To the north… ...
- Asotin, Washington Population, Schools and Places of Interest (6/2/2023) - Asotin, Washington is surrounded by several small towns and cities that offer a variety of attractions. To the north lies Clarkston, Washington which has a vibrant downtown area with shops, restaurants, museums and more. It’s… ...
- Ashland, Virginia Population, Schools and Places of Interest (6/1/2023) - Ashland, Virginia is a small town located in the central part of the state and is bordered by several other cities and towns. To the west lies the city of Richmond, Virginia’s capital and home… ...
- Bennington, Vermont Population, Schools and Places of Interest (5/31/2023) - Bennington, Vermont is located in the southwestern corner of the state and is bordered by New York to the south, Massachusetts to the east, and New Hampshire to the west. This small town offers visitors… ...
- Bountiful, Utah Population, Schools and Places of Interest (5/30/2023) - Bountiful, Utah is situated in Davis County and is bordered by several cities and towns. To the north lies Centerville, a small city of approximately 15,000 people. Centerville is home to the historic Gardner Village… ...
- Alice, Texas Population, Schools and Places of Interest (5/29/2023) - Alice, Texas is located in the southern part of the state and is surrounded by several small cities and towns. To the north of Alice lies Freer, which is known for its cultural heritage and… ...
- Athens, Tennessee Population, Schools and Places of Interest (5/28/2023) - Athens, Tennessee is located in the Southeastern region of the United States and is bordered by several cities and towns. To the north, Athens is bordered by Sweetwater and Madisonville, both of which are small… ...
- Belle Fourche, South Dakota Population, Schools and Places of Interest (5/27/2023) - Belle Fourche, South Dakota is a small city located in the northwestern corner of the state. It is situated along the banks of the Belle Fourche River and bordered by several towns and cities, which… ...