Summer holidays on the beach, the sun is shining from the sky, cocktails by the sea and swimwear wherever you look – that’s not for you? The ten coldest places on earth offer a strong contrast program – which, however, should not necessarily be suitable for a vacation or even just for people to stay:
- The East Antarctic Plateau – The coldest place on earth
It has not been certain for so long: the coldest temperature ever recorded on earth was recorded at this location. At least minus 93.2 ° C. minus. It is impossible for people to live here, even without a protective suit and breathing apparatus. The temperature measurement was made by satellite.
- Vostok Weather Station, Antarctica
At this Russian weather station we find the coldest temperature ever measured with a thermometer: minus 89.2 ° C. In midsummer 1983.
- Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica
This research station is one of the ten coldest places on earth, at which minus 82.8 ° C has already been measured. In midsummer there are over 100 South Pole researchers – only very few of them stay through the winter.
- Oymyakon in Siberia
The small Siberian village was considered the coldest place in the world until 2013. At minus 71.2 ° C, it is still 20 ° C warmer here than in East Antarctica – a few hundred people have even settled here. In summer it sometimes gets up to 30 ° C warm.
- North Ice, Grönland
Also a research station, located on a huge glacier, the Greenland Ice Sheet. In 1954, the cold record for this place was set at minus 65.9 ° C.
- Snag, Canada
In this small village in the Canadian Yukon, which is considered the coldest place on the entire American continent, a temperature of minus 63 ° C was measured in the winter of 1947. Although there was still a well-functioning gold rush settlement here in the 19th century, it has now been almost completely emptied. The gold diggers left behind a ghost town of the cold, over which, by the way, a small airplane disappeared in 1950, the remains of which could never be found.
- Eureka, Canada
Now we are making big steps into the habitable temperature areas. The weather station on the northernmost island in Canada measures down to minus 40 ° C in winter. In summer the temperatures rarely climb to more than minus 20.
- Ulaanbaatar (Ulan Bator), Mongolei
According to Trackaah, the Mongolian capital is considered to be the coldest capital in the world. The annual average temperature is only minus 2 ° C, in winter it can get down to minus 25 ° C. Officially, the city has almost 1.5 million inhabitants, which is almost half of the total population of Mongolia. However, many of these people are only in the capital to winter and roam the country in the remaining months.
- Astana, Kazakhstan
In the Kazakh capital, it is not as cold on average as in Ulaanbaatar, but in individual cases it can get down to minus 40 ° C at night. The absolute minimum temperature measured was minus 52 ° C. After all, the second coldest capital in the world.
- Funtensee, Germany
It doesn’t always have to be a different continent for such incredibly cold temperatures. Here in Germany, too, it can get very frosty at times. At Funtensee, in the Berchtesgaden National Park in Bavaria, it was minus 45.9 ° C in 2001 – not the only cold record recorded here, just the highest so far. Due to its unique basin location, it is also considerably colder at the lake than in the areas directly surrounding it. The largest temperature difference between the lake and areas already only 100 meters higher was 27 ° C in 2000.
Browse Weather and Climate by Country or Region
Note: countries and regions are listed in alphabetical order. According to COUNTRYAAH, there is 195 independent countries in the world while there is no country with letter X.
U.S. Highways by State
- Santorini, Greece (12/29/2022) - According to Wholevehicles, Santorini is a picturesque archipelago in the Aegean Sea, a ring of 5 islands: Thirasia, Nea Kameni, Palea Kameni, Aspronisi and, in fact, Santorini, or, as it is also called, Thira. Officially,… ...
- Climate and Weather of Lijiang, China (12/27/2022) - The climate of Lijiang Lijiang is an ancient city in southern China. The city is very well preserved and the characteristic old Chinese houses can still be admired in their original condition. It is therefore… ...
- Climate and Weather of Nanjing, China (12/20/2022) - The climate of Nanjing Nanjing is the capital of Jiangsu Province in eastern China. Some beautiful characteristic ancient Chinese structures have been preserved, such as the Linggu Temple and the buildings on Moshou Lake. It… ...
- Climate and Weather of Nanning, China (12/13/2022) - The climate of Nanning Nanning is located in the south of China, close to the Vietnamese border. Nanning is a great base for the area with its beautiful hills and beautiful picturesque villages such as… ...
- Climate and Weather of Qingdao, China (12/6/2022) - The climate of Qingdao Qingdao is a port city located on the Yellow Sea in Shandong Province. In 2008, some parts of the Summer Olympics were held here. This has, among other things, ensured that… ...
- Climate and Weather of Shanghai, China (11/29/2022) - The climate of Shanghai Shanghai is one of the symbols of China's fast-growing economy. This originally fishing village has grown into one of the largest metropolises in the world and the most important port in… ...
- Sirius, Russia (11/29/2022) - Until recently, the star Sirius shone exclusively in the sky, but in 2015 it also lit up on Earth, when Russia's first educational center for gifted children was opened in the Sochi Olympic Park. Since… ...
- Climate and Weather of Shenyang, China (11/22/2022) - The climate of Shenyang Shenyang is the capital of Liaoning Province in northeast China. The city is an important commercial and industrial center for trade with neighboring Japan, Russia and Korea. Besides trade, the city… ...
- Climate and Weather of Shenzhen, China (11/15/2022) - Shenzhen's Climate Shenzhen is located in Guangdong province, north of Hong Kong. In the 1970s, this was still a small fishing village, but economic reforms have made the city a major economic center. This is… ...
- Climate and Weather of Suzhou, China (11/8/2022) - The climate of Suzhou According to DigoPaul, Suzhou has kept its ancient character well. The old city gate is still standing and there are many temples and pagodas to admire. Old shops can still be… ...