Summer holidays on the beach, the sun is shining from the sky, cocktails by the sea and swimwear wherever you look – that’s not for you? The ten coldest places on earth offer a strong contrast program – which, however, should not necessarily be suitable for a vacation or even just for people to stay:
- The East Antarctic Plateau – The coldest place on earth
It has not been certain for so long: the coldest temperature ever recorded on earth was recorded at this location. At least minus 93.2 ° C. minus. It is impossible for people to live here, even without a protective suit and breathing apparatus. The temperature measurement was made by satellite.
- Vostok Weather Station, Antarctica
At this Russian weather station we find the coldest temperature ever measured with a thermometer: minus 89.2 ° C. In midsummer 1983.
- Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica
This research station is one of the ten coldest places on earth, at which minus 82.8 ° C has already been measured. In midsummer there are over 100 South Pole researchers – only very few of them stay through the winter.
- Oymyakon in Siberia
The small Siberian village was considered the coldest place in the world until 2013. At minus 71.2 ° C, it is still 20 ° C warmer here than in East Antarctica – a few hundred people have even settled here. In summer it sometimes gets up to 30 ° C warm.
- North Ice, Grönland
Also a research station, located on a huge glacier, the Greenland Ice Sheet. In 1954, the cold record for this place was set at minus 65.9 ° C.
- Snag, Canada
In this small village in the Canadian Yukon, which is considered the coldest place on the entire American continent, a temperature of minus 63 ° C was measured in the winter of 1947. Although there was still a well-functioning gold rush settlement here in the 19th century, it has now been almost completely emptied. The gold diggers left behind a ghost town of the cold, over which, by the way, a small airplane disappeared in 1950, the remains of which could never be found.
- Eureka, Canada
Now we are making big steps into the habitable temperature areas. The weather station on the northernmost island in Canada measures down to minus 40 ° C in winter. In summer the temperatures rarely climb to more than minus 20.
- Ulaanbaatar (Ulan Bator), Mongolei
According to Trackaah, the Mongolian capital is considered to be the coldest capital in the world. The annual average temperature is only minus 2 ° C, in winter it can get down to minus 25 ° C. Officially, the city has almost 1.5 million inhabitants, which is almost half of the total population of Mongolia. However, many of these people are only in the capital to winter and roam the country in the remaining months.
- Astana, Kazakhstan
In the Kazakh capital, it is not as cold on average as in Ulaanbaatar, but in individual cases it can get down to minus 40 ° C at night. The absolute minimum temperature measured was minus 52 ° C. After all, the second coldest capital in the world.
- Funtensee, Germany
It doesn’t always have to be a different continent for such incredibly cold temperatures. Here in Germany, too, it can get very frosty at times. At Funtensee, in the Berchtesgaden National Park in Bavaria, it was minus 45.9 ° C in 2001 – not the only cold record recorded here, just the highest so far. Due to its unique basin location, it is also considerably colder at the lake than in the areas directly surrounding it. The largest temperature difference between the lake and areas already only 100 meters higher was 27 ° C in 2000.
Browse Weather and Climate by Country or Region
U.S. Highways by State
- Climate and Weather of Shanghai, China (11/29/2022) - The climate of Shanghai Shanghai is one of the symbols of China's fast-growing economy. This originally fishing village has grown into one of the largest metropolises in the world and the most important port in… ...
- Sirius, Russia (11/29/2022) - Until recently, the star Sirius shone exclusively in the sky, but in 2015 it also lit up on Earth, when Russia's first educational center for gifted children was opened in the Sochi Olympic Park. Since… ...
- Climate and Weather of Shenyang, China (11/22/2022) - The climate of Shenyang Shenyang is the capital of Liaoning Province in northeast China. The city is an important commercial and industrial center for trade with neighboring Japan, Russia and Korea. Besides trade, the city… ...
- Climate and Weather of Shenzhen, China (11/15/2022) - Shenzhen's Climate Shenzhen is located in Guangdong province, north of Hong Kong. In the 1970s, this was still a small fishing village, but economic reforms have made the city a major economic center. This is… ...
- Climate and Weather of Suzhou, China (11/8/2022) - The climate of Suzhou According to DigoPaul, Suzhou has kept its ancient character well. The old city gate is still standing and there are many temples and pagodas to admire. Old shops can still be… ...
- Climate and Weather of Taiyuan, China (11/1/2022) - The climate of Taiyuan Located on the Fen River, Taiyuan is the capital of Shanxi Province. Taiyuan is today a large industrial city. It used to be an important strategic military base due to its… ...
- Climate and Weather of Tangshan, China (10/25/2022) - The climate of Tangshan According to DigoPaul, Tangshan is a major industry stand in Hebei Province. The city is very old and there are still remains of the past. For example, there are tombs from… ...
- Interstate 540 and 55 in Arkansas (10/23/2022) - Interstate 540 in Arkansas I-540 Get started Fort Smith End From neighbours Length 15 mi Length 24 km Route Oklahoma14-5: Fort Smith 14 Fort Smith 13 Jenny Lind Road 12 Fort Smith 11 Zero Street… ...
- Climate and Weather of Tianjin, China (10/18/2022) - The climate of Tianjin Tianjin is a large metropolis in Northeast China. The city is an important port and is located on a ford on the Hai He River. The city is connected to the… ...
- State Route 136, 150, 156, 159 and 170 in Wyoming (10/14/2022) - State Route 136 in Wyoming SH 136 Get started Riverton End Gas Hills Length 43 mi Length 69 km Route RivertonCR-5 State Route 136, also known as WYO 136 is a state route in the… ...